Innovative shipbuilding from the future
The characteristics of manufacturing in shipbuilding place high demands on simulation:
- Complex products
- Unique production with a high number of variants
- Interlinking of different manufacturing principles
- Use of different resources in production
- Special logistics requirements for storing and transporting large, heavy sections or blocks
For this reason, Flensburger Schiffbau Gesellschaft, together with SimPlan, has developed a building block kit especially for shipbuilding, which is based on the Plant Simulation software. The STS building block kit (Simulation Toolkit Shipbuilding) is a tool for modeling all shipbuilding processes in steel construction and equipment. Complex dependencies (constraints) and unplanned disruptions are taken into account. In this way, the planning of processes in a shipyard can be efficiently supported.
In addition, loading and unloading of ships and vehicles can be simulated to increase performance. This feature leads to the STS also finding application in port logistics.
The simulation approach of the STS kit is also transferable to the construction and operation of wind farms (offshore). The processes of production facilities and overall logistics can be mapped, analyzed and optimized. Another field of application is in the construction industry, e.g. in the planning of construction site logistics.
- Easy use in a simulation model (insert, parameterize, connect)
- Very high time saving in the development of simulation models
(e.g. one week instead of one year for the model of a panel line)
- Interfaces for the provision of data in the simulation model
- Significant simplification in the maintenance of simulation models
- High functional reliability of the building blocks
Continuous further development of the building blocks based on the requirements from the shipbuilding processes
The simulation approach of the STS building block kit is also transferable to the construction and operation of wind farms (offshore). The processes of production facilities and overall logistics can be mapped, analyzed and optimized.
20 Years of STS Library – Modeling Complex Processes and Logistics
Recording of the presentation by Dirk Steinhauer at Realize LIVE 2020 by Siemens Digital Industries Software. For more details on the November 2020 event, visit https://events.sw.siemens.com/realizelive-europe/.